Lt. Colonel Victor E. Delnore became Chief of the Nagasaki Military Government in September 1946, one year after the Occupation forces took charge of the city. His efforts to rebuild Nagasaki and to restore peace and stability throughout the prefecture where celebrated by local officials at the time of his departure in 1949. The City intended to name a street in his honor (see two articles in the Prange Collection newspapers that reported on this development: “長崎市にデルノア通り,” Nagasaki Nichinichi, March 23, 1949 [Call Number: NN0096] and “‘デルノア通り’命名,” Nagasaki Nichinichi, March 26, 1949 [Call Number: NN0096]), but the plan was never carried out.
In the fall of 2013, a delegation from Nagasaki visited the Prange Collection (see this blog post) and discovered that the Collection had recently acquired the Delnore Papers. This discovery — as well as the fact that the City is preparing to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the dropping of the bomb in 2015 — prompted the City to officially name a street “Delnore Street” at this year’s August 9 commemoration ceremony. Patricia Magee, daughter of Victor Delnore and donor of the Delnore Papers, has been invited to Nagasaki for the unveiling ceremony of the new “Delnore Street” sign. Yomiuri Shimbun reported on this (see article at left) and included a photo from the Delnore Papers of Victor Delnore and his wife in front of the original “Delnore Street” sign.